Welcome to Menlo Park
Family-oriented and close-knit community
Menlo Park is a suburb located in East San Mateo County that is bordered by the San Francisco Bay
. The city is 17.4 square miles
in size, with nearly 10 miles covered by water. Several small neighborhoods
make up this quaint area, including Belle Haven, Willows, Suburban Park, Lorelei Manor, Flood Triangle, Vintage Oaks, and South of Seminary. Many small areas mean there’s much to experience in Menlo Park!
, two Irishmen named Dennis J. Oliver and D.C. McGlynn purchased 1,700 acres of land and built their homes with a single entrance. In the entryway, they put up a sign—“MENLO PARK.” The arrival of a railway to the area in 1863 prompted the railroad official to see the sign and declare that Menlo was a sufficient name for the location. The station is now the oldest California station still in operation.
What to Love
People & Lifestyle
Menlo Park is home to many young professionals and families. The feel of this city is dense and suburban
, and there are plenty of cafés, eateries, and parks to enjoy. Most people drive to work, and the average commute time is 25 minutes
. A small community surrounded by metropolitan areas makes this a lovely destination for those who appreciate quiet at home with the option to experience city life.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
There are a plethora of dining options in Menlo Park. Stop by Cafe Borrone
for a delicious salmon bagel for breakfast and a chimichurri chicken panini for lunch. Draeger’s Market
is a local deli where you can pick up a ready-made ham and freshly-baked bread. Head to Dutch Goose
for classic American comfort fare such as juicy bacon cheeseburgers and turkey club sandwiches, all while enjoying one of their 12 beers on tap.
Things to Do
You’ll never get bored in this community-oriented city. Enjoy the finer things in life by heading to Woodside Vineyards
for an afternoon of wine tastings made from grapes locally-grown in the Santa Cruz Mountains. For a large selection of readings, Kepler’s Books
features a Book Club, showcases Black writers
in support of Black Lives Matter, and hosts community events.
Kepler’s Books works with Menlo Park Library for various community events
, including Storytime for Adults and the Fiction Book Group. Every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM, you can shop for fresh produce, fish, meats, cheese, and flowers at the Menlo Park Farmers Market
Outdoor recreation is plentiful in Menlo Park. Enjoy a picnic and some quietude by the scenic lake of Sharon Park
. For a more active day spent outdoors with your family, play some softball or tennis and bring your furry friends to the off-leash area of Nealon Park
There are numerous top-tier education institutions in Menlo Park, including:
- Menlo Park City School District is a highly-rated public school district made up of four different schools and features the Whole Child Learning & Development Framework
- Las Lomitas Elementary School, K-3, a public school featuring technology programs and integration like Brain Pop
- La Entrada School, 4-8, a public school that uses technology programs such as Khan Academy and Brain Pop
- Menlo-Atherton High School, 9-12, a public school with core values: Patience, Respect, Integrity, Determination, and Empathy
- Phillips Brook School, PK-5, a private school with a focus on developing emotional intelligence
- Nativity Catholic School, K-8, a private Catholic school with an integrative STREAM (Science Technology wRiting Engineering Arts Math) program
- St. Raymond, K-8, a private Catholic school with an integrative athletic program